Pages

Friday, May 12, 2017

What is Transgression?


Definition:
Wrong-doing; a violation of a law.

Transgression refers to presumptuous sin. It means “to choose to intentionally disobey; willful trespassing.” Samson intentionally broke his Nazirite vow by touching a dead lion (Numbers 6:1–5; Judges 14:8–9) and allowing his hair to be cut (Judges 16:17); in doing so he was committing a transgression. David was referring to this kind of sin when he wrote, “Blessed is the one whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered” (Psalm 32:1). When we knowingly run a stop sign, tell a lie, or blatantly disregard an authority, we are transgressing.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary(n.)
The act of transgressing, or of passing over or beyond any law, civil or moral; the violation of a law or known principle of rectitude; breach of command; fault; offense; crime; sin.

International Standard Bible Encyclopediatrans-gresh'-un: From "transgress," to pass over or beyond; to overpass, as any rule prescribed as the limit of duty; to break or violate, as a law, civil or moral; the act of transgressing; the violation of a law or known principle of rectitude; breach of command; offense; crime; sin. In the Old Testament pesha`, occurs 80 times, rendered in all versions by "transgression." Its meaning is "rebellion"; see REBELLION. The word "rebellion" differs from this word in that it may be in the heart, though no opportunity should be granted for its manifestation: "An evil man seeketh only rebellion" (Proverbs 17:11). Here the wise man contemplates an evil heart, looking for an excuse or opportunity to rebel.

The New Testament uses parabasis, "trespass": "The law.... was added because of transgressions" (Galatians 3:19); "Where there is no law, neither is there transgression" (Romans 4:15); "for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first covenant" (Hebrews 9:15).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
rebellion, sin, transgression, trespass
From pasha'; a revolt (national, moral or religious) -- rebellion, sin, transgression, trespass.

Greek
3847. parabasis -- a going aside, a transgression
... a going aside, a transgression. Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine Transliteration:
parabasis Phonetic Spelling: (par-ab'-as-is) Short Definition: a transgression ... 

3892. paranomia -- lawbreaking
... lawbreaking. Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine Transliteration: paranomia Phonetic
Spelling: (par-an-om-ee'-ah) Short Definition: a transgression Definition: a ... 

3900. paraptoma -- a false step, a trespass
... Word Origin from parapipto Definition a false step, a trespass NASB Word Usage
transgression (7), transgressions (9), trespass (1), trespasses (3). ...

458. anomia -- lawlessness
... Word Origin from anomos Definition lawlessness NASB Word Usage lawless deed (1),
lawless deeds (2), lawlessness (12). iniquity, transgression, unrighteousness. ...


Strong's Hebrew
6588. pesha -- transgression
... pesha. 6589 . transgression. Transliteration: pesha Phonetic Spelling: (peh'-shah)
Short Definition: transgressions. ... rebellion, sin, transgression, trespass. ...

4604. maal -- an unfaithful or treacherous act
... falsehood, grievously, sore, transgression, trespass, very. From ma'al; treachery,
ie Sin -- falsehood, grievously, sore, transgression, trespass, X very. ...

6586. pasha -- to rebel, transgress
... 1), offended (1), rebel (1), rebelled (6), rebellion (1), revolted (7), transgress
(3), transgressed (10), transgressing (1), transgression (1), transgressors ... 

7684. shegagah -- sin of error or inadvertance
... error, ignorance, at unawares, unwittingly. From shagag; a mistake or inadvertent
transgression -- error, ignorance, at unawares; unwittingly. see HEBREW shagag ...


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 32:5 (NIV)
Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD." And you forgave the guilt of my sin.

Psalm 32:5 (NLT)
Finally, I confessed all my sins to you and stopped trying to hide my guilt. I said to myself, "I will confess my rebellion to the LORD." And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone.

Psalm 32:5 (Aramaic Bible in Plain English)
I confessed my sins to you and my crimes I have not hidden from you; I have said, “I shall confess to Lord Jehovah concerning my crimes”, and you forgave me all my sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment